ARPN Journal of Science and Technology Logo

ARPN Journal of Science and Technology >> Volume 7, Issue 1, January 2017

ARPN Journal of Science and Technology


Cockroaches: Transmission of Medically Important Parasites

Full Text Pdf Pdf
Author Bassam Alzain
ISSN 2225-7217
On Pages 533-537
Volume No. 3
Issue No. 5
Issue Date June 01, 2013
Publishing Date June 01, 2013
Keywords Cockroaches, residential area, hospital environment , parasites, health risks, Palestine



Abstract

Cockroaches play an important role in transmitting different diseases either mechanically and occasionally biologically. The aim of the current study is to the determine the possible role of cockroaches in dissemination of medically important gastrointestinal parasites in North Gaza Governorate , Palestine. A total of 200 cockroaches were collected from residential area and hospital environment were screened for the parasites between October 2012 and January 2013. Direct wet smear, 1% lugols iodine and modified acid-fast bacilli staining were used to identify the parasites from the body surface and the faecal samples of the cockroaches. The results show that 47 (23.5 %) of the cockroaches harbored parasitic organisms. Nineteen (17.3%) of the 110 cockroaches collected from residential areas harboured gastrointestinal parasites while 28 (31.1%) of the 90 cockroaches from hospital environment harboured parasites. Of these, 27( 57.4 %) were protozoa and the remaining 20 (42.6 %) were pathogenic helminthes and non-pathogenic helminthes. Of the pathogenic helminthes , the species included ova of Ascaris lumbricoides ,ova of Enterobius vermicularis and ova of hookworm. The protozoa types that were identified included cysts of Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar , trophozoites of Balantidium coli , cysts of Entamoeba coli and cysts of Endolimax nana were encounter from internal and external surface of the cockroaches during this study. The cockroaches from hospital environment harboured more parasites(31.1%) than residential areas(17.3%) but the difference in parasite burden was not statistically significant (p>0.05). Cockroaches represent an important reservoir for infectious pathogens, therefore, control of cockroaches will substantially minimize the spread of infectious diseases in our environment.


Back
Seperator
    Journal of Computing | Journal of Systems and Software     
Copyrights
2013 ARPN Publishers